The Oracle Business Intelligence Enterprise Edition (OBIEE) 12c suite can be broken into five basic components which are described briefly below.
Oracle BI Server: The behind-the-scenes infrastructure that maps user requests to the OBIEE data models created by UITS staff. The data models themselves are separated into three distinct “layers” that build upon one another to create a more user-friendly way of accessing our existing data sources.
- The Physical layer, which specifies the tables and fields from our existing data warehouse that will be joined together to create the data model.
- The Business Model & Mapping (BMM) layer, which provides the logic for the joins in the Physical layer and allows us to create calculated fields to meet common business needs.
- The Presentation layer, which structures and renames the fields from the BMM layer into subject areas (groups of data that can answer common user questions) for user consumption in the four OBIEE components below.
Oracle BI Answers: Used by UWM report authors to build web-based analyses, scheduled jobs, and dashboards that can be displayed in BI Dashboards.
Oracle BI Dashboards: Used by UWM report consumers to view, modify, and interact with web-based analyses created in BI Answers.
Oracle BI Publisher: Used to create primarily print-based reports based on existing OBIEE subject areas or ad-hoc data models that draw directly on data warehouse tables.
Oracle Visual Analyzer: Used to explore relationships between data using connections to flat files (e.g., Excel, CSV), OBIEE subject areas, and/or a variety of other industry-leading data storage tools.
- For an overview of new features from Oracle OBIEE 12c: https://www.oracle.com/solutions/business-analytics/business-intelligence
- For more detail about the core components of Oracle’s OBIEE suite (features contained in the previous 11g release): http://www.oracle.com/us/solutions/business-analytics/business-intelligence/enterprise-edition/
- Oracle University OBIEE training courses: http://education.oracle.com/pls/web_prod-plq-dad/ou_product_category.getPage?p_cat_id=259
- Oracle Help Center OBIEE documentation: https://docs.oracle.com/middleware/12213/biee/index.html